Moving across the country can be one of the most challenging things you will do. Moving to a new home hundreds of miles away is a huge transition. If you are planning a long-distance move, you may feel overwhelmed.
This article will review some tips and tricks to help make your move as stress-free as possible.
- Start Planning Early – The earlier you plan for your long-distance move, the better. This will help you feel prepared when the time comes and ensure you do not forget anything throughout the process.
- Make and Follow a Moving Checklist – The best thing you can do to prepare for your long-distance move is to create a checklist. It may be shocking to see all the tasks and jobs in one long list, but this will help you to break them down and make them more manageable. Remember, not everything has to be done at once. Following a checklist will help you stay on track and not forget anything.
- Hire Long-Distance Movers – We recommend hiring movers for your long-distance move as early as possible. While you may think you can handle the move on your own, movers will ensure your items arrive on time and help prevent damage. Once you know when you will take possession of your new home, it is crucial to book movers right away.
- Purge and Declutter –As you go through your house to pack, one thing you can do to minimize the amount you have to move is to declutter and purge items you no longer need.
- Pack Strategically –We always recommend packing one or two boxes of essential items. This might include toilet paper, cutlery, dishes, and any necessary paperwork you may need as soon as you reach your new destination.